Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why I am running: 

Work to be done:  It would be an honor to have the opportunity to complete work started under my leadership from tightening the Crystal budget to the WMFRD Board.  The list includes a complete assessment of Public Works buildings to create an improvement plan along with weaning city budgets off LGA (Local Government Aid) without a tax spike.  Also, review/update some codes/ordinances. 

Experienced:  In eight years I have learned many things about local government operations, what we do well and where we can improve. I understand and respect the time it takes to deliver a complicated city budgets. 

Innovative Communicator:  Founded the Crystal business Association (CBA) and implemented Citizen Input Time to open up city government to more inclusive input.  During CO RD 81 planning phase I helped facilitate citizen discussion to create an enhanced list of citizen needs and wants. 

Collaborator:  I am only one vote of seven and must work well with other to get good things done.  The current council is a wonderful example of diverse individuals committed to preserving and moving forward Crystal’s core beliefs of human rights, environmental stewardship and affordability. 

Fiscally responsible with tax dollars:  Keep infrastructure in good shape and make improvements that provide the best return on investment. 

Biggest Challenges:
  • Sustain and improve Crystal’s quality of life to meet the changing needs of all citizens.
  • Budget Planning:  Zero growth taxes means we need to adjust for inflation but not grow or add to local government burdens.
  • Build a governance and policy manual for WMFRD Board of Directors to assure stability and sustainability. 

10 comments:

  1. I read the letter "sent to all" from anonymous/MNTBar@aol.com. If you have a real concern they should be addressed person to person in order to find suitable compromises. One can not remain anonymous and expect to seek change, history has taught us that. I know that change is difficult and sometimes it is not the change we had hoped for but yet what the mass has voted for. One city official does not make all the decisions either. I have sought out assistance and know first hand how much time this can take, if possible. But our Governmental system was designed to work slowly, this allows for all "of the people's" voices to be heard before change can take place. I have not seen any traffic jams on Douglas, and I know the re-stripping was in part due to the heavy foot and vehicle traffic for the Community Center. I am glad that the traffic light was removed from Broadway & Corvallis - it created a traffic jam where there never was one. I would LOVE to see the "No Parking" on the south side of Fairview/49th continue from New Hope through Crystal (about 5 blocks) as it is now it makes it very difficult for EMT/Emergency Vehicles to navigate when cars are parked on both sides of the street. This I feel is CRITICAL as it may save someone's life. This community belongs to all of us and I feel it is important to work together for change whether we are citizens or city officials. For the most part, I like the positive changes being made, even though some utilize my tax dollars but do not pertain to my lifestyle. I see the value for the community as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, they were right on!! We all need to work together, I am only 1 vote on the council.
      I do believe we are keeping the south side of Fairview/49th as parking with no parking on the other side of the street. We know it is a narrow street and we want to keep it safe. but i will double check. Thanks again!! ReNae

      Delete
  2. Sorry, you had your time. I still see a goofy city government that is too extravagant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know how we are goofy and what is extravagant so we can make improvements. I am curious to know what specifically is wrong. Thanks, ReNae

      Delete
    2. I don't understand why people say the things they do and then when asked to discuss their statements, they turn and walk away. I am always looking for ways to improve local government, but unsubstantiated claims like the one made by this individual only serve to grow ignorance and bitterness. Dropping lie "bombs" and then hiding is not a way to affect change. WE need to work together to keep Crystal a great place to Live, Work and PLay!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Join us at the Frolic's Parade today!!! See you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal candidate forum on Thursday, August 2 at 7:00 at Crystal City Hall. Bring questions for your local candidates. You will hear concrete answers to questions and my goals for the city's future. I have 8 years of proven positive results serving all citizens of Crystal. Proven results, not empty promises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After having the opportunity to review the candidates at the forum and online as well as meeting everyone in person you certainly have my support. Good luck in the primary!
    Tess Moleski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your support Tess!!
      Crystal voters must get out to vote in the primary on tuesday, August 14!!

      Delete
  6. Hello ReNae,
    I bought a house in Crystal June of 2011 and I love living here with one exception: the overnight parking ban. It has been a huge struggle for me as a homeowner. We have three car owners at my house and a very steep driveway. We have to maneuver around each other every morning when leaving for work. We have all scratched each other's cars because our option is either risk hitting each other's cars or get a ticket every single day for parking in front of the house that I own. I can't offer my home as a place to stay when my family comes from out of state to visit because we have enough rooms, but we don't have enough places for them to park. Do you have any plans to do away with the overnight parking ban or alter it if elected?

    Thank you for your time,
    Sarah El-Fakahany

    ReplyDelete